Sick of spam? Prevention is better than cure
If you have you email posted somewhere on the web, you may have noticed an increase in spam to that address. This is because spammers use web-crawlers (programs that scan the web) to retrieve email addresses for their mailing lists. THese programs look for code formatted as an email address (eg. email@example.com which is encoded as a HTML link with the HREF property set to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- download decodeEmail.zip and extract the files, "encode.html", "decodeEmail.html", "decodeEmail.js"
- open encode.html in a browser
- enter the domain name (eg. 'mydomain.org') into the encoder and encode it
- copy the series of numbers which is the encoded version of the domain name
addressList = new Array("dave",106,117,106,117,119,101,98,100,101,115,105,103,110,46,99,111,109);
paste your numbers over the numbers in the array.
also change 'dave' to to the name used in the email address you want to encode
change the name here to the one you used above
- open decodeEmail.html in a browser: you should see your email address encoded